Saturday, September 24, 2005

What's that song about?

I've got a few people asking me about song lyrics lately, so I thought I'd start putting some
of the stories behind them on here.

Lubbock and Waco - I wrote that one about 4 or 5 years ago. And if you're familiar with my older stuff, 345 Miles is the distance between Lubbock and Waco, hence the name of the first CD.

"Somewhere between Lubbock and Waco, people going to a basketball game. They follow them around from town to town, everybody knows all the players name. They practice night and day and give their girlfriends their senior rings, and if thy win state again they just might make theses 2A coaches king."

Mandy and I are friends with a high school basketball coach from Peaster High School. Watching team play games is way more exciting than any pro sports team... Their school is pretty small, doesn't even have football. They've always been pretty good, won state a couple times.

We went to one of their games in Abiline. If you need directions to Abiline, get on I-20 and go west 2 hours. It's that easy. But we stopped to eat on the way home, and Mike decided to take some alternate side road scenic route (it was about 10pm). I fell asleep, and then woke up when I felt the car pull over, assuming we were home. It took me a minute for my eyes to adjust, and I saw Mandy and Mike looking at a map. I asked where we were, and Mandy said "somewhere between Lubbock and Waco."

So that's where the name and the first verse came from, but a song never does justice to the characters. In towns like Peaster, coaches and players really are the bigwigs when there is a winning season. I'll take some more time to explain this when basketball season comes around.

In the next part of the song, you get to meet the old man plowing. This is the old man that you always see when you're in the small town, the old man that doesn't know any other way of life. He may be 75, and he's looked that old since he was 40. Go to Mary's in Strawn one night, and you'll see him.

When I was really just getting into the unique music scene when I was writing this, and had been listening to some Townes Van Zandt. I'm pretty sure this is right around the time he died, if not it was only a few months afterwards. Roger Phillips had introduced me to the music of the Flatlanders, and we went to see them at the Bass Hall in Fort Worth. I heard Joe Ely telling a story about how he met TVZ - and this is pretty much the last verse of the song.


That's Lubbock and Waco in a nutshell. There's all kinds of stories from the stories that I could go on for an hour about, but I'm not going to get into those, because they will hopefully end up being songs all their own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home