Tuesday, September 10, 2002

This old porch is a palace walk-in on the main stream Texas
It ain't ever seen or heard the day of G & R and X's
With the '62 poster that's almost faded down
And a screen with out a picture since Giant came to town
Oh no,
I love them junior mints and them red hots, too
Yes I do, oh yea, and old movie pictures

---Robert earl Keen and Lyle Lovett

That's got to be one of my all time favorite songs, and I still ever have learned to play it.
After hearing it a million times, I came across the book Giant at Costco, and decided to read it.
Took me a long time to get started, and I read about 1/3 of it before I got into it, and the first part seemed to lean toward the feminine relationshippy kinda stuff, but it turned out to be really cool. It reminded me of the way early forerunner to the stuff McMurtry wrote, The Last Picture Show and Texasville. This book makes you really understand what the old school early modern Texas is like. It's a really wholesome work compared to what I've been coming across lately, and a lot of it is written from Leslie's view comparing the barren hugness of Texas to where whe was from back east.
So, Sunday after I woke up from my 3 hours of sleep, I made my way in the afternoon to get the movie. Yes, I'd say the book was better than the movie, as always. There was a lot of the angst
and hard stuff taken out of the book and replaced with a happier theme, but it was really good. Long. Nearly 3 hours. James dean was in it, Rock Hudson, and Liz Taylor (who was kinda hot at the first part). Quite impressive to see how they played the characters from young to old and never looked too fake. And James Dean was nice enough to postpone his death until just after the filming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home