Thursday, September 19, 2002

One of the reasons I'm leaving my job here is because of their ability to be selective about
which rules they enforce and whic ones they ignore. The manager of this branch allows someone
who calls themself "Vice President of Accounting and Administration" to enforce the rules she picks,
which is quite a title for someone that doesn't have any sort of degree. An example of this on the small scale
would be working hours... For example, if you come in at 6 am, or 5 am to work on a job that bids that day,
and leave at 4:30 to go to school and VPoAA notices (after she comes in at 9:30 and is leaving at the same time as you, including a 2 hour lunch), the next day you will be threatened by the Manager because she mentioned
it to him, hopefully to win ass kiss points. Also, you can't leave without permission to go pick up plans
on a job that bids tomorrow, even though the manager refuses to disclose his work schedule with the other
employees. But when Manager returns, you are "asleep at the wheel" or "lazy" since you didn't get that job finished. Buncha bull here... I took this job with the intent to stay until something better came along, and it took a hell of a lot longer than I thought it would. I guess some people are control freaks and have no ability to communicate with anyone, and it really suck to work for them. But most of all, I feel sorry for them that they have to live their lives feeling that way.

Most importantly, about selecting rules to be enforced, they have ignored my request for conformation of severence pay. Here's the letter I wrote to the owner of the company that owns TBS, and is the only person Manager has to answer to. I didn't send one to Manager, because he has never allowed me to be prepared,and he would rather ambus someone that is unprepared, and now it's his turn.
Mr. Rolla,

I'll be leaving TBS Specialties Direct, Inc. in the near future. There are many reasons that I'm leaving, mainly because there is a lack of communication and respect in the workplace here, and I think my talents and skills could be put to use better elsewhere.

I had a question for you regarding severence pay. I asked Betty Crowe about it earlier, and she told me I was not entitled to it, with no consideration. According to section 403 of the employee handbook, one definition of termination is resignation - voluntary employment termination initiated by an employee. It goes on in this section to define employment to be based on mutual consent, and employees have the right to terminate at will. Then in Section 404, it states that an employee who is terminated for reasons that were not prejudicial to SDI are eligible for severance pay, at the discretion of SDI.

I understand that it is at the discretion of SDI, and I do not feel like I will be given any consideration. I have given more than applicable notice (about 4 weeks), and in that time I will have trained a replacement to take my place in the organization. I will not be going to work for a company that competes for any business with any of your companies, and I may be in the position where I could use the services and products of your company inthe future.

Thank you for taking the time to review this.

Sincerely,
Ben Wright, Estimator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home